Is Swiggy expose a case of whistle-blowing or defamation?
The post made by ex/current employees, aka, unknown persons, against Swiggy’s ethics and business practices have sent social media into a spiral, with people taking sides for and against Swiggy.
Swiggy has come back with a response to the criticism with the point by point explanation and counter arguments and evidence to the disputed facts.
The original post here:
Swiggy’s response here:
Questions to the Startup community:
- Is Swiggy’s response a clever tactical strategy, or just a scared response?
- Do the ‘unknown persons’ used reasonable care to establish the truth, or was their action a reckless disregard for the truth?
- Is it justifiable to level such grave allegations using anonymity as a shield?
- Was the post made as a fair comment for the public good, or just out of frustration to cause reputational harm to Swiggy?
- Was Swiggy at fault for not handling the Employee termination with due process of law?
- How accurate the reports and counter reports? Will there be an investigation into Swiggy’s business practices?
- Are the data exposed in the post are in public domain or are they a proprietary, confidential property of Swiggy? Can these ‘unknown persons’ be sued for publishing the trade secret under Section 27 of the Indian Contract Act?
We may not get all answers. Time will reveal on its own. But what is the important lesson here for all start-ups?
Well, not just start-ups.
It is a nightmare for everyone on the Internet.
It’s an open field. All it takes to defame a person or a company is having some influence on the Social media and then make a wildly controversial post anonymously.
Then wait… for the gossip/rumour/truth/whatever to spread like a fire.
Judge, jury, and executioner – the fate of an Idea or a person’s reputation can be sentenced to life at the click of a button.
Other news stories on #swiggy
- Naspers-backed Swiggy battles allegations of fudging, deceit
- Anonymous blog accuses Swiggy of unethical practices
- Swiggy rubbishes anonymous blog post claiming company fudged numbers
- Swiggy leaks: Blog claiming to be written by employees says company cheats restaurants, Swiggy refutes
- Foodtech Startup Swiggy Tampers Growth Numbers, Cheats Employees, Restaurants And Investors – Claims An Anonymous Blog By Employees
- Swiggy cheats users, restaurants and investors, claims online post
- Swiggy Denies Claims by Supposed Ex-Employees That It Fudged Numbers